Monday, April 2


There's an artist known as Invader who leaves these little Space Invaders all over major world cities. Most are in Paris or Tokyo, but now there are also Space Invaders in NYC and LA. I've seen a few around the city already.

After another emergency run to Simon, my Apple technician, I stopped at a café to finish some reading for class. The glass of jus d’orange pressé was worth every centime of the 4€ I paid for it. A young couple, perhaps they were just friends, sat next to me on the terrace. I tried my best to eavesdrop, but they were speaking combinations of English, French and German. A few key words and phrases alerted me to the topics of their conversation: “dominatrix,” “mistress,” and “they had to trim my pubes down to there.”

After listening to this couple for nearly an hour, I was reminded how badly I want to 1. Learn every language in the world 2. Have someone with whom I can speak every language in the world and, most importantly, 3. Learn German.

It just so happens that this afternoon was my time to register for summer (and fall?) semester.

After being kicked out of the café, I strolled to the Place de Vosges and picnicked on the grass among thousands of teenagers.

After class, I met with Kathryn in Bastille for drinks. We tried going to my favorite café, but it has very peculiar hours (as I later learn, they close on Mondays, open at 5 or 6 and close at 12 or 2 am the other days, depending on when Didier, the owner, feels like it). We started for margaritas at Beco de Cachaça and ended up with tequila sunrises at Some Girls.

Nearly every bar has happy hour. They usually start at four in the afternoon and last until eight, sometimes even ten, at night. The cocktails are almost always half-off, which means they cost 3 to 5€ each. This translates to $4-7. While I never spend over $5.00 on a cocktail at home, I do it almost daily here and with little guilt. I don’t plan on continuing this once I return to the States. I realize it's a little indulgent. At home, this expenditure is a luxury (if not a habit that requires professional intervention). Here, it's a necessity.

Inquiry: Is "est-ce que je me boucherais" correct? Can one "se boucher"?

No comments: