Sunday, May 13

Friday was Cat's last night in Paris. We went out for dinner and drinks to send her off with the best impression the city has to offer. We ate Thai at the Blue Elephant near Bastille. We all recommend the agneau. It was so good that I actually dreamt about it later that night.

Last night I went to my friend Julien's birthday party. He was hosting the party at his grandfather's apartment, which is in the tranquil neighborhood of the 16th arrondissement. It was a big party with only a couple of English speakers. I found it quite fitting to see this large, moneyed apartment full of young Parisians wearing Levi's, drinking Heineken, and dancing to The Strokes. I had a wonderful time dancing and speaking (quite well, I must say) with my new friends until two in the morning.

Yesterday afternoon Howard taught me the phrase "C'est nickel" to say that something was wonderful. Julien's friends updated me, telling me that if I want to say something is very wonderful, it is nickel chrome. They all laughed whenever anyone said this, but further inquiry told me that the phrase is socially acceptable.


A man sat down across from me on the Noctilien ride home. He was at least 70 years old and looked pretty haggard, most likely homeless. He covered his face with his hands as if in the anguish of realizing that his life was a complete failure. (I'm certainly not saying that his life was by any means a failure, but this was the air he put off.) He sat like this for about five minutes after which, putting his hands in his lap, he leaned forward, and spoke to me: "Venez chez moi." (Come home with me.) I shook my head and politely said no. Ashamed or disappointed, I couldn't exactly tell which, he returned to his previous position. For the next few minutes I thought about this -- what was he thinking? Did he really think I would comply with his demand? Did he even have a home? After another five or ten minutes, he removed his hands yet again and bent forward. This time he asked me for change. I said I didn't have any and apologized. He put his hands to his face in defeat and I fell asleep.

No comments: