Wednesday, May 9

Plus!

As previously mentioned, I have been getting more and more interested in "street art." I plan on buying Banksy's book as soon as I get back in the States (I already have one suitcase full of just books and I can't afford any more excess baggages fees). I know I'm late on this trend and it's apparent I'm not the only one still intrigued. Within the past couple of months, Nylon (for Guys?) published a feature.

Here are some more pictures that I have taken of work seen in Paris.

One artist has superimposed two of Warhol's most famous images: his Marilyn and banana. In the original, Warhol immortalized Marilyn by transforming her image into a literal icon of beauty. Here, the street artist has subjected Marilyn and her passive femininity to the actions of the phallic banana, consequently negating the impressions we had of the original Marilyn image. Instead of the classic beauty we previously recognized, she becomes a whore. Warhol would be proud.









2 comments:

Ellie said...

I wonder if the French who are disappointed by an election result write letters to the editor like Americans do, except in hotbeds political opinion, like Ann Arbor, where they put out yard signs.

Parisian Cowboy said...

Well, I think when we are disappointed about an election, the two options are : 1) burn car and/or strike. 2) become amnesiac for the next five years. I am sure most of us have already forgotten everything about HM J. Chirac...