Tuesday, March 27

I have not yet taken a picture, but graffiti covers the walls in the Metro's tunnels. A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about who paints it and when. The vandals must sneak in at night after the trains stop running. They must wear headlamps, unless they make their girlfriends (am I assuming too much?) come with them to hold the flashlights. I gave a good five minutes' thought to these artists and went on that night to have a dream about them.

In my dream, I was standing on the platform at the station near my apartment. The rumble of the train could be heard in the distance when three men came running out of the tunnel wearing face masks. It was obvious that they were the ones doing all of the graffiti. The men were none other than the three homeless guys who spend all day on the bench talking and drinking cans of beer.

It was a brief and relatively uneventful dream, but it gave a little more insight and liberty for when I imagine the lives of the strangers I encounter.

Some more observations I have made around my neighborhood.

Every morning I walk past a fromagerie. It smells so terrible I have a habit of holding my breath from two storefronts away.

An older woman walks her two whippets and an Italian greyhound in the late afternoon right past my apartment. The Italian hates the concrete after it rains.

A young (thirty-something), attractive couple lives in the building next to mine. Their apartment is at ground-level and instead of a door, they climb in and out of the apartment through the window. Most days the shutters are closed and the room is dark, but when they are open I always peek in. They sit at their kitchen table, smiling and talking and they always smile at me when I walk by, especially if its when they are climbing in or out of the window. I aspire to find as much charm in my life as this couple does.

On the other side of their apartment, there is an upholstery shop. The inside of the shop looks straight out of the 19th century, but the young men working on the chairs certainly don't.



After class today, I met up with Jade to play darts at an Irish pub. Much to his surprise, I won both games (one of regular darts and the other cricket). I have never played real darts before, whereas he's a regular. On top of that, I was drinking cider and he only had sparking water. I may not have much technique, but apparently whatever I do have works well enough. Then again, the Irish luck was on my side.


La madame returned this evening. She does not approve of Cat and I's solution to the internet problem. She said she is calling the internet company tomorrow to come and fix the wireless. She said it would cost 150€ and we were expected to pay. This is going to be a problem.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

.
Your blog is great reading for its observances of every day life. I feel like I am right there with you, looking through your eyes: the men on the bench in the metro station, the couple who climb through their window. You're good at darts? Who knew! I watch eagerly for new postings.

Katie said...

I don't know if I'm good, but in order to win I did have to get three bull's eyes. Suppose that makes me good enough.