Friday, March 16

In French class this morning, we saw, per my request, a music video satirizing contemporary, upper-class Parisians. I am currently searching on YouTube for a link. Hilarious.

After class, I went back to talk to the Apple technician, or the man who currently controls life as I know it. Unfortunately, his advice hasn't been helping me very much. The French agree that Internet access is terrible here (and I don't care to admit exactly how much this blog costs me).

My plan was to find a loaf of challah in le Marais. With the help of an African arts and artifacts dealer, I found a next-to-amazing bead shop instead. I also found a Swedish cultural center and, consequently, flyers for hip galleries and musical events.

Readers, today I found the love of my life. I know that I say this every six months or so, but I think this time its for real. I was walking, lost in my Nutella and banana crêpe, when I turned around the corner and BAM. Before my eyes was beauty in its purest (and most architectural) form. Was it Notre Dame or, even better, Sacre-Coeur? No, it was Georges Pompidou, his collection, and most important of all, his free wireless connection.

Le Centre Pompidou is where the beautiful, intelligent, and patient congregate. I have found yet another sliver of heaven here in Paris.

Pictured are two of many slide viewers (or what I'm assuming to be slide viewers, but because slides are quite before my time it is difficult to say for sure).

Today I finally received a compliment on my French. I was also able to actually understand and respond accurately and clearly to a woman who requested directions.

Tonight I went to Starbucks on Opera (again).

Objective Truth: Friday afternoons, in the Châtelet Metro station, a man plays the hammered dulcimer. Before my time here in Paris comes to an end, I intend to request from him a private lesson. My ears belong to him and his instrument.

Song: Peter, Bjorn, and John - Young Folks

1 comment:

Ellie said...

A French woman asked YOU for directions? That in itself is delightful! I love you.