Thursday, March 8


On the way to class, I passed by a store that sold thousands upon thousands of these little figurines. This set is of Marie Antoinette and her king, but there were also Egyptians and Tour de France participants and every French general of all time. Absolutely amazing.

Our class met outside of the Palais Royal. We were able to sit and sunbathe for a little bit before leaving to explore the various passages couverts.
For lunch, un jambon crudité and un crêpe citron. I had only one quick Strongbow before coming home to dinner.

Yikes: More artichoke, broccoli, and a platter of mackerel, one for each of us. Yes, I was served the whole damned thing. Yes, I did my best to hide my lack of culture and kept my complaints on a purely guttural level. Yes, I tried some – pas terrible, except for the head, scales, and bones dilemma. It was distinctly oily. No, I didn’t finish it and, yes, ma mère seemed to delight in my struggles.

I am starting to understand and develop distaste for the post-existential, passive-aggressive nature of the general public. Perhaps the intensity of Parisian literacy (they read Derrida on the Metro) is actually a civic crisis.

Song: Rachel's - Egon and Edith

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Katie, my spring wardrobe is in need of your expertise. I will be stuck in sweaters and MSU t-shirts until July! ~Karen

Ellie said...

Thank you so much for the pictures! Love, Mom